ATLANTIDE was built for Sir William Burton by Philip and Sons Ltd of Dartmouth, United Kingdom in 1930. Sir William was an experienced sailor and was the helmsman for SHAMROCK, the 1930 America’s Cup challenger. She was originally named CALISTA. Throughout the 1930s CALISTA was used as a tender for Sir William’s 12-metre sailing yachts.
In 1940, her services were called upon to join England’s fleet of ‘Little Ships’ for Operation Dynamo. This was a very dangerous, but necessary evacuation of English and Allied forces from Dunkirk during the Second World War. For this gallant endeavour, ATLANTIDE is entitled to fly the distinguished St. George’s Cross.
Following WWII, CALISTA was renamed ARIANE following a relaunch in 1948 by a Greek shipping magnate. Her post-war refit took 2 years to complete and was carried out at Vosper Thornycroft Shipbuilding in Southampton, United Kingdom. She spent the next 50 years in the Mediterranean Cote D’Azur until the 1980s when she was renamed ATLANTIDE.
The design and décor of ATLANTIDE immediately takes you back to a time when men were gentleman and women were ladies. The Art Décor styled interior has been well preserved and modified over the years and was lovely restored in 1998/99 most appropriately by Camper & Nicholsons and is reportedly the most elegantly detailed and finished classic expedition motorsailer in the world. It was quoted at the time to also have been the most expensive refit per metre of yacht ever, the total cost of which was in the region of $20,000,000.00.
Scott Taylor and his Superyacht Painting team completed fairing repairs and repainted ATLANTIDE at Camper & Nicholsons Shipyard in Gosport, United Kingdom.